For United States colleges and universities that offer athletic or academic scholarships for non-US residents, the amount given to the student must be declared to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). But these non-US residents do not have social security numbers against which to claim the “income.” For that reason it is necessary to secure a tax payer identification number (TIN).

A TIN must be applied for, and documentation submitted, before it is granted. An IRS Acceptance Agent can assess whether a student is eligible for a TIN and can then help you through the process, which requires accurate reporting and can be cumbersome.

In addition to TIN services, we often provide training to supportive service agencies of universities and colleges on accounting software, business consulting and business planning. We are QuickBooks ProAdvisors and are available to consult or train as needed.

Our numerous college and university clients trust SMP to take care of their students’ TIN needs. Call us today and we can help you with yours as well.